Thursday, June 3, 2010

Haiti - Port au Prince and La Gonave

Hi good people! It's been awhile. I hope that this finds everyone well. After bopping back and forth between CT and CA, I came back to the east coast on a hunt for a job in documentary film. Through a bizarre and wonderful sequence of events, I was asked to join Haiti Lumiere de Demain, a non-profit that distributes text books to children in Haiti, on their most recent trip. Wow. I am going to keep this post short because I am honestly still trying to sort out all my feelings on what I saw. To begin, it's a beautiful country with some of the most beautiful people I've ever seen. Their smiles cannot be described in words. I found Haiti incredible. It was incredibly stunning, sad, hopeful, broken and lost. It was incredibly warm both in temperature and feeling. It's incredibly forgotten even though there is talk and fundraising due to the earthquake. It is clear that we have never given enough attention to this beyond worthy country that is the poorest in the Western Hemisphere. I went with Louis, who founded HLD in '98 as well as Paul and his wife Noelle. The four of us drove to schools on what cannot be called roads (16 miles = 3 hr drive) to deliver text books to students who without HLD would have nothing. You should have seen their faces. Pure Joy. These kids deserve so much more and yet they were beyond gracious. I am forever changed by what I saw in my week down there. The one thing that does not settle well with me and I hope it doesn't with you when you look at these pictures, is that what you see in these photos is almost the EXACT same as it was pre-earthquake. We, as human beings, should not be okay with that.
Please visit HLD's website at http://haitilumiere.org/wp/

No comments:

Post a Comment